Will there be music stars in Doha? Two days before the launch of the World Cup in Qatar, which is held until December 18, the question arises after the refusal of several music personalities to participate in the opening ceremony, due to non-respect of the human rights.
While Fifa has just unveiled the official anthem of the world with Maluma, Nicky Minaj and Myriam Fares, several artists were less enthusiastic about the idea of being associated with the competition.
For Rod Stewart, for example, it’s a firm and definitive no. In the columns of The Times newspaper, the rock legend said on Tuesday that he had been asked by the small, but very rich, Gulf emirate to perform at the opening ceremony.
“I was offered a lot of money, over a million dollars, to play there fifteen months ago. I declined. It’s not right to go,” said the 77-year-old British singer. The reason ? “Respect for human rights in general” including that of the LGBTQ + community, he whose texts have often been engaged.
Like the song “The killing of Georgie”, written in 1976 about the murder of a gay boy. “It’s important, because it means you can refuse the money. It means you can’t buy everything,” he said.
In the same line, the group The Cure also indicated that it would not occur in Qatar.
Dua Lipa says no
Her name was also mentioned to sing at the opening ceremony, but the 27-year-old English pop star put the rumors to rest on her Instagram account, where she is followed by more than 87 million people.
“I will not be performing and have not been involved in any negotiations to perform in Qatar,” the “Levitating” singer wrote, adding that she will support England.
“I look forward to going to Qatar when it has fulfilled all the human rights commitments it has made,” she continued.
Shakira gives up
She hadn’t confirmed her presence either, but the rumors were rife. It must be said that the Colombian star, separated from the Catalan footballer (just retired) Gerard Pique is a regular at the World Cups.
The one who had signed – with the South African group Freshlyground – the official music of the South African edition of 2010 with “Waka Waka” (This Time for Africa), then performed four years later in Brazil with the hit “La La La” will not go to Qatar.
This is what the singer’s entourage told the Spanish channel Telecinco and then the Spanish-speaking press agency EFE, without giving further details.
Lil Baby and the others?
The American rapper with more than 32 million monthly listeners on Spotify, who collaborated with the members of the British group Tears for Fears on one of the soundtracks of the Mondial, “The World is yours to take”, remains silent on its presence or not in Doha.
The 27-year-old Atlanta native had indicated on his social networks at the end of September that he intended to travel to Doha to host the opening ceremony. Will he give up? The question is asked.
Among those who have not denied or canceled their presence, is the Canadian actress and dancer Nora Fatehi. The name of Robbie Williams – who had participated in the opening ceremony of the 2018 World Cup in Moscow – is also circulating. Just like that of Jungkook from the K-pop group BTS.