He must be heard by a judge. Brazilian footballer Dani Alves was taken into custody this Friday in Barcelona as part of an investigation targeting him for alleged sexual assault, the Catalan regional police told AFP.
“He came this morning to the police station in Les Corts”, a district of Barcelona, where “he had been summoned. He was taken into custody and is on his way” to court, said a spokesman for the Mossos d’Esquadra, the Catalan police.
On January 10, the Spanish justice announced the opening of an investigation re the football player. A Barcelona court “has opened an investigation for an alleged offense of sexual assault following the complaint presented by a woman against a football player”, announced the Superior Court of Catalonia (northeast) without mentioning the name of the player.
Facts denounced in the nightclub
A source familiar with the matter had confirmed to AFP that it was indeed Dani Alves. The Catalan regional police had indicated that on January 2 they had registered the complaint of a woman accusing the footballer of touching. According to the local press, the alleged facts took place in a nightclub in Barcelona on the night of December 30 to 31.
In a message sent to Spanish channel Antena 3 on January 5, the 39-year-old denied any criminal conduct and said he did not know the complainant. Former defender of FC Barcelona, Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain, Alves spent a few days of vacation in Barcelona after participating in the World Cup in Qatar with the Brazilian selection and before returning to his current club Pumas de Mexico.