G7 calls on UN Security Council to take ‘meaningful’ action

The G7 countries criticized, on Sunday, November 20, the launch “irresponsible” by North Korea of ​​a new intercontinental ballistic missile on Friday and called on the United Nations Security Council to take further action “meaningful” to end testing. The Council is due to meet on Monday on this subject.

The foreign ministers of the G7 countries have said that the repeated missile launches by North Korea “further destabilize the region, despite calls from the international community for peace and stability”.

The projectile that North Korea tested on Friday appears to be its latest ICBM-class ballistic missile, the range of which would allow it to hit the American continent.

The G7 statement calls for “a united and robust response from the international community” and underlines “the need for the United Nations Security Council to take significant further action”.

The G7 includes Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Great Britain and the United States. A representative of the European Union joined the statement.

“Self Defense”

For its part, Pyongyang vehemently attacked UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres on Sunday, calling him ” puppet of the United States”.

“I express my deep regret that the UN Secretary-General observes a truly deplorable attitude, oblivious to the objective and principles of the UN Charter and its very mission which is to maintain impartiality, objectivity and fairness on all matters”said North Korean Foreign Minister Choe Son-hui, according to state news agency KCNA.

Mr. Gutteres had called on North Korea on Friday to “immediately abstain” brand new ” provocation “ after this new shot, calling on Pyongyang to return to the negotiating table.

Read also: Article reserved for our subscribers North Korean missile fire: between the two Koreas, a clear worsening of relations

On Sunday, the North Korean foreign minister recalled that the Pyongyang authorities had “recently warned the UN Secretary-General to consider the Korean Peninsula issue with impartiality and objectivity”.

She highlighted the policy of“self-defense” from North Korea “in a disturbing security environment in the region due to the dangerous military cooperation between the United States and its vassal forces”.

“The UN Secretary General has yet blamed North Korea rather than the United States”, assured the Minister. Mr. Kim also reaffirmed that he would resort to the atomic bomb in the event of a nuclear attack against his country, according to KCNA.

Thirty missile launches since the beginning of November

The United States, South Korea and Japan have intensified joint military maneuvers in recent months since Kim Jong-un declared in September that North Korea’s nuclear state status was “irreversible”.

Seoul and Washington notably conducted at the end of October and the beginning of November the largest joint air exercises in their history.

Read also: In South Korea, an American B-1B bomber joins joint air exercises

The KCNA news agency claimed the missile fired on Friday was a Hwasong-17, its latest variant, which it considers to be “the most powerful strategic weapon in the world”. KCNA explained that Kim Jong-un attended the latest launch with his daughter.

So far this month, North Korea has reportedly fired 30 short-, medium- and long-range missiles, including the one on Friday that landed in Japan’s exclusive economic zone west of Hokkaido.

A series of test firings carried out in October included a probable ICBM that flew over and over Japan, causing warning sirens to go off in the north of the country. North Korea launched more missiles in 2022 than in previous years.

The UN Security Council has passed nearly a dozen resolutions imposing sanctions on North Korea over its nuclear and missile activities since 2006.

Read also: New missile launches by North Korea cause false alarm in Japan

The World with AFP

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *